Saturday, October 10, 2015

24 Day Project Film Reveal...Days Seven Through Twelve


 September 7th - Hummingbird on a Branch
 I sat on a rock wall, watching bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds dance around from flower to flower in a pasture adjoining my property. This female ruby-throated hummingbird stopped for a rest on a buckeye branch a few feet in front of me. 

September 8th - High Brown Fritillary
 While weaving my way through the tall grasses of the same meadow as the previous day, I came across this butterfly. It was only inches from my face when I spotted it. I shot up close with a wide-angle lens.

September 9th - Hummingbird in the Jewel Weed
 On day nine, I found myself in the pasture again looking for hummingbirds. I really wanted to push it and go for an in flight shot. At this time I was still sticking to the one shot rule. I nervously waited for the right moment. Click!

September 10th - Small Waterfall near Glen Burney Falls
I knew I would come to this spot, but with the intention of shooting the 20 foot high, water spewing  monolith that is Glen Burney Falls. Instead, I went for an offshoot, only a couple feet high.

September 11th - Doe in the Woods
Now we have come to the subject that caused me to break my one exposure a day rule. I was hiking up Elk Knob when I spotted this doe and her fawn tiptoeing through the misty hardwood forest. I quickly changed lenses, from a wide to a telephoto. I made this exposure hand-holding the camera. The shutter speed was slow even with a wide-open aperture. I was pretty sure I'd just made a blurry shot. So, I decided to forget the project. I had a good opportunity to photograph a doe and her fawn. They didn't even seem nervous at my presence. I shot 4 or 5 more frames on a tripod, but never got the doe and fawn together in the same shot. Ironically (life is full of them), that very first frame ended up being my favorite, as well as the sharpest! From then on in the project, I shot multiple frames of only one subject each day.

September 12th - Autumn Maple Impression
It was a windy day. These bright orange leaves were the first to change color for the fall season in my woods. I situated the camera on a tripod and selected a slow shutter speed. When a strong enough gust of wind came, I tripped the shutter.

(c) 2015 Jon Reaves. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment