Tuesday, October 13, 2015

24 Day Project Film Reveal...Days Nineteen Through Twentyfour

September 19th - Sanderling
 I managed to sneak away at sunrise on day 19. I drove over to Sunset Beach, NC. The beach was quiet and mostly vacant, except for about a dozen sanderlings. They are very quick little birds and are difficult to photograph, especially on film!  This one stopped briefly before prodding its little bill into the sand, just enough time for a shot.

September 20th - Ancient Oak
 My wife and I were staying with her father in Little River, SC. Before we left for our home in the NC mountains, I needed to get my shot for the day. I simply took an early morning walk down the street in the direction of the docks for about a half mile to find this huge live oak. It must be 200-300 years old! My wide angle lens could only capture about a third of the tree from underneath it.  

September 21st - Lichen on White Pine Bark
 The misty and foggy morning of day 21 brought me back to the pine grove. I decided to include some more forest texture. Lichen thrives in our damp little hollow. 

September 22nd - Wild Turkeys in Donelly's Pasture
 This group of wild turkeys frequent a cow pasture not far from our home. I took my F100 and telephoto zoom lens with me in the car while driving my wife to work. I stopped and shot out of the car window. This didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped. I was feeling rushed as cars started to come up behind me, so I snapped a few shots and moved on.

September 23rd - Crab Apples
 The south-facing ridge behind my home has some of the tallest maples and oaks I've ever seen. I climbed the slope through thick thorny brambles hoping to capture a nice landscape of that old growth forest in the golden morning light. When I noticed these little crab apples littering the ground and the contrast they made with the green moss, I couldn't pass it up.

September 24th - Heron on Bass Lake

 Here we are, the last photograph of the 24 day film project! I returned to Bass Lake to find this immature great blue heron wading through the lily pads. My heart was beating a bit fast. Was this the final photo, or should I pass this subject up and look for another? When the bird tilted its elegant neck, revealing its full profile, I released the shutter. I felt pretty good about it. 

(c) 2015 Jon Reaves. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment