Friday, June 12, 2015

The Land of Fire and Ice II, The Film Shots...

Iceland is a magical place, a geologist's paradise, a photographer's dream. The landscape is dramatic, changing every few miles on any stretch of the country's few main roads. There are waterfalls (massive waterfalls), geothermal hot springs, active volcanoes, grassy plains, rugged peaks, and everything in between. The people are quite pleasant and the pace of life, even in Reykjavik, is very relaxed. Needless to say, I enjoyed the experience. I hope to travel there again soon.

In my last post I included images from my point and shoot. Many of my favorite shots in that series were actually taken by my wife, Alison. I shot 35mm film (Ilford HP5+ and Kodak Ektar 100) on my Canon EOS 3, mostly with a 17-40mm f4L (if you must know). It was completely necessary to have this weather sealed equipment for Iceland...both me and the camera were soaked from rain, sleet, and waterfall mist the entire time. I've been anxiously awaiting the return of my film from the lab and I finally have my scans! Due to the high dynamic range and contrast of the film stocks that I use, very little post processing was done to these photos (and none at all for some) and no sharpening was needed. I hope you enjoy these photographs as much as I enjoyed making them.

Rock Formations in Vik, Iceland

Horseback Riders in Vik, Iceland

Skógafoss, Iceland

Glacier, Iceland

Skógafoss, Iceland

Hallgrímskirkja, Reykjavik, Iceland

Thingvellir National Park, Iceland

Original Parliament Building, Thingvellir National Park, Iceland

The Sun Voyager, Reykjavik, Iceland


No comments:

Post a Comment